SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CA — If you love tacos and freebies: Save these dates!
Rubio’s first “Food Truck Tour” — a collaborative venture with SoCal celeb chef Richard Blais — is rolling out this week, handing out free tacos from its new, “Adventure-Inspired Street Tacos” menu at five stops in San Diego County.
“We’re inviting everyone who has been missing travel and adventure to come to our food truck for a taste of favorite destinations — Hawaii, New Orleans and New York,” said Rubio’s Coastal Grill founder Ralph Rubio.
Rubio said his restaurant biz was too excited to wait for patrons to stop in and try Blais’ new, bold taco creations, “So we’re taking them to the streets.”
Blais, a Bravo “Top Chef,” a recurring judge on such TV shows as “Guy’s Grocery Games,” a James Beard-nominated cookbook author and one of the forces behind Juniper & Ivy in SD’s Little Italy, recently partnered with Rubio and his crew for this new taco line-up, that melds worldwide travel and street food.
The three, new Rubio’s x Blais Street Tacos, available for free sampling from the Rubio’s Taco Truck, include:
- Hula Hula Carnitas: Inspired by Blais’ time in Hawaii, with pork marinated in gochujang, achiote and garlic, wrapped in a banana leaf and slow-cooked;
- Blaised & Glazed Crispy Chicken: A tangy taco twist on Buffalo chicken, the “Blaised & Glazed” taco starts with crispy chicken tossed in Frank’s RedHot® sauce;
- Ancho Po-Boy Shrimp: Named after New Orleans’ most famous sandwich,this is a modern take on classic New Orleans street food.
Upcoming taco-tour stops in the San Diego area are listed below. But do double-check with the Rubio’s Taco Truck Tour blog for any updates or changes.
- THURSDAY, MAY 27: 11 a.m.-5 p.m.- Moonlight Beach, 430 Moonlight, Encinitas
- FRIDAY, MAY 28: 11 a.m.-5 p.m.- Downtown San Diego, 450 2nd Ave, San Diego
- SATURDAY, MAY 29: 6 p.m.-9 p.m.- Torero Stadium, 5988 Alcala Park, San Diego (SD Loyal vs. Las Vegas – Visit SDLoyal.com for tickets.)
- SUNDAY, MAY 30: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.- Little Italy, 2140 India St., San Diego
- MONDAY, MAY 31: 11 a.m. -5 p.m.- Seaport Village,849 W. Harbor Drive, San Diego
Other planned stops are June 3-6 in the Inland Empire, June 9 in Irvine and June 9-13 in Los Angeles.
Founded in 1983 in San Diego as a walk-up, food stand by then-college student Rubio, who became hooked on fish tacos after frequent trips to Mexico, the Rubio’s chain now boasts a menu that still includes its Original Fish Tacos, plus grilled seafood options, along with steak and chicken served in tacos, salads, bowls and burritos.
Now headquartered in Carlsbad, Rubio’s currently employs more than 3,000 individuals at more than 150 restaurants in California, Arizona and Nevada, according to company officials. Find your nearest Rubio’s here.