All products and services featured are independently selected by Forbes Vetted contributors and editors. When you make a purchase through links on this page, we may earn a commission.
With its moderate climate and soft sand beaches with oh-so surfable waves, San Diego is a popular vacation destination for a reason. However, gone are the days when boardwalks and family-friendly attractions like the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld were the main attractions. Many cultural institutions have received recent upgrades and artsy enclaves are flourishing, making America’s Finest City a great destination for arts and culture.
The city’s hotel landscape has also matured thanks to the renovations of beloved historic hotels and many stylish new additions, from downtown design properties to beachy retreats. Our best hotel picks are scattered through the county (San Diego County stretches from the U.S. Mexico border to San Clemente) from a genteel resort in a lush Rancho Santa Fe canyon to a buzzing downtown hotspot with multiple drinking and dining venues. Below, the best hotels in San Diego for SoCal-style indulging, which means plenty of health and wellness offerings to go along with the fabulous cocktails and cuisine.
The Best Hotels in San Diego
- 1 The Best Hotels in San Diego
- 1.1 For The Wellness And Fitness Fanatic: Rancho Valencia
- 1.2 Best In The Gaslamp: The Pendry San Diego
- 1.3 Best In North County: Alila Marea
- 1.4 For Gourmands: Fairmont Grand Del Mar
- 1.5 Best Renovation: Hotel del Coronado
- 1.6 Best Historic Preservation: The Guild Hotel
- 1.7 Most Glamorous: La Valencia
- 1.8 Most Transformational: Cal-a-Vie Health Spa
- 1.9 Best Location and Views: InterContinental San Diego
- 1.10 Most Under-The-Radar: Estancia La Jolla
For The Wellness And Fitness Fanatic: Rancho Valencia